POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 20 Mar 2004 15:12:50
Message: <fn8p50ta2ivd6k65j01uk2a79jouffbrna@4ax.com>
Hi Christopher James Huff, you recently wrote in povray.general:

> > Actually it also raytraces.
>
> Well, it certainly uses scanline algorithms heavily.
I can't see anything that indicates that it's using scanline
heavily...

> You can easily tell that the main rendering uses scanlining by the fact
> that it renders the scene object-by-object.
Maybe I'm just blind, but I don't see it rendering single objects at a
time, I see the entire scene being rendered and then refined, but
there are no objects being rendered.... In the 2nd movie I mentioned,
they open the regular Lightwave rendering engine for comparison (after
moving the FPrime window out of the way) and that one does render
object by object.... but none of the FPrime demos do this, they all
render the entire scene at once and refine it (like mosaic mode).

> Something like this could be done in a pure raytracer, but I don't think
> it can be done with POV-Ray's radiosity, reflections and refractions ...
I agree with that, it would probably be quite hard.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray